Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Leaving Tracks of My Thinking

My 2nd graders have been so busy practicing their reading strategies, and I am so proud of them.  It is so exciting to see them THINK while they are reading.  This year we have been utilizing The Comprehension Toolkit by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis, and the results are truly amazing.

Recently as we worked on leaving tracks of our thinking, we focused on making text-to-text connections.  My team and I also wanted to challenge our budding readers to compare and contrast two different genres of text, so we read a fiction story on one day and then a poem on the next day.  For this reading experience, the key to picking out the poem was to choose one that had story elements.  It worked out perfectly and we were able to reinforce the elements of a poem at the same time.  Score!

On each day, we filled out this page where we did some parts together, some parts in pairs and the rest individually:


Then on the third day, we used each page above (previously filled out) to complete the page below as we compared (similarities) and contrasted (differences).  Again, we did one similarity and difference for each together as a whole class, one in pairs and then they tackled one on their own.  It completely stretched their thinking and they LOVED it!  I forced them to think of similarities and differences that were somehow related.  That's what made it challenging and a lot of fun.


In the rounded rectangles in the "Story" area is where I asked them to draw and color a picture of their favorite part of that story/poem.  In the shaded "My Connection" area is where they made a self-to-text connection for that story/poem.

I was blown away by some of the ideas my kiddos generated and I can't wait to do this again!!


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

Freebie Fridays

19 comments:

Lori Rosenberg said...

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for including the printables, too!

Lori
Teaching With Love and Laughter

luckeyfrog said...

I love these! So great for first graders. Thank you for sharing!

Jenny
http://luckeyfrogslilypad.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this with my Guided Reading groups. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Stories from Room 114

Down Under Teacher said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

Kylie
Down Under Teacher

Unknown said...

I just stumbled upon your awesome blog when googling for a different site. I am SO glad I found your blog. What awesome resources!! I am a new follower.

Krista
stellar-students

BizzyinSecond said...

Love these!!! Thanks for sharing the tracks of YOUR great thinking!!!
:o) Melissa

Dan & Jess said...

LOVE it! Is there any way I could get the file format in something other than Adobe? I'd like to modify the lines and a few things for use with first graders. Thanks so much!

Jess Wartinger
jwartinger@frkl.wnyric.org

Cindy in Wisconsin said...

Thank you so much for sharing these! I look forward to using them.

Megan said...

I love this!!! I'm moving from 4th to 3rd next year and was wondering how to adapt the Toolkit for my younger kiddos. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing your hard work.
Megan
I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

amy said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. I stumbled upon your blog through pinterest. I love the phonics cards!
I will be following your blog from now on!
Amy
Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

Unknown said...

Hey Hey! :) I wanted to let you know that I awarded your blog the "One Lovely Blog" award! Check out my blog to pick it up! <3

www.learningwithmrschavis.blogspot.com

Christa Swaney said...

Belinda,
I just awarded you the One Lovely Blog award. Stop by my blog to receive it.

Christa
sweetlifeofsecond

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such an awesome freebie.How do you show your product and link it to scribed? I have made documents but I don't know how to post them on my blog.I’m your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Shanell

Unknown said...

I am new reading teacher. I have plans to create reading centers in my classroom. Thank you for the wonderful activities. They will help me a lot as a third grade reading teacher.

Jennifer Lawton-Godziuk said...

Thank you so much for sharing your work. I don't mind ordering through Teachers Pay Teachers, but there's something special about giving to each other freely. :-)

CrystalN said...

Thanks for your worksheet! I'm going to use it to get my little writers to make a story using this as a guide. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I love your compare and contrast graphic organizer because it has so much space for writing! My 6th graders struggle to write in a Venn Diagram.

I also so appreciate that you are sharing with us for free. I really miss the days when teachers used to do that. =(

Unknown said...

webpage buy replica bags right here Visit Your URL that site Dolabuy Celine

loche said...

these details check it out article https://www.dolabuy.su find here try this out

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...